BSC International Student Conference (BSCISC)
Western Balkans Youth Conference: Regional Cooperation and Integration
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina,
29 May 2020 10 July 2020
DESCRIPTION OF THE STUDENT CONFERENCE 2020
The Conference “Western Balkan Youth Conference: Regional Cooperation and Integration” reflects the University’s interdisciplinary and international character by offering a platform for students and recent graduates in arts, humanities, social sciences, and technical sciences from all over the world to exchange their ideas and experience in an intellectually stimulating academic environment. The fundamental objective of the conference is to provide students with an educational experience that prepares them for their future. Submitted papers will be evaluated by the Scientific Committee, composed of distinguished scholars, whereupon best papers awards will be assigned to three best rated papers.
THE CONFERENCE AIMS
- Tackle current social, political and economic issues in the context of present research studies;
- Encourage the exchange of views, experiences and findings among students from Bosnia and Herzegovina and abroad;
- Review and identify research topics and knowledge related to students’ interests;
- Promote interdisciplinary presentations from different academic areas that will bring new perspectives across various fields of study;
- Address recent social and scientific issues with an emphasis on research originality;
- Give an opportunity to students to present their research and findings, with a possibility of their promotion and application;
- Encourage students to share their researches and exchange ideas with their peers; and
- Offer a platform for students from Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Balkans and the world for networking and establishing contacts for future collaboration.
BROAD CONFERENCE TOPICS
BSC Conference 2020 welcomes papers from all disciplines within humanities, arts and social sciences, and technical sciences. Possible themes may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Regional Cooperation within South-East European Cooperation Process (SEECP)
- The Prospects of the Balkans Countries in the EU
- The Balkans in the EU: Compliance with Copenhagen Political, Economic and Legal Criteria
- Regional Cooperation as a Path towards the Balkans Post-Conflict Peace-Building
- Regional Cooperation within the Frame of Regional Cooperation Council (RCC)
- The Balkans Prospects for Cooperation through Building Infrastructure, Transportation and Communication
- Balkans Cooperation: Bilateral, Trilateral and Quadrilateral Initiatives
- The Balkans Education Reforms
- The Balkans Public Administration Reforms
- The Balkans Economic Cooperation, Entrepreneurship and Trade
- The Balkans Utilization of Instruments for Pre-Accession (IPA)
- Regional Initiatives for the Balkans Cooperation and Integration
- Historical Analysis of the Balkans Cooperation
- Democratization of the Balkans
- Human Rights in the Balkans
- The Balkans Security Prospects and Challenges
- The Balkans Trade and Commerce within the Frame of CEFTA
- The Balkans Technical and Scientific Cooperation
- The Balkans Energy Politics
- The Balkans Finance and Banking
- The Balkans Communications and Telecommunications
- The Prospects for the Balkans Technological Networking
- The Balkans Political and Parliamentary Cooperation
- The Balkans Information Society
- The Balkans Civil Society and NGOs
- Tackling Challenges of Migrations in the Balkans
- The Prospects for the Balkans Rule and Law
- The EU Politics towards the Balkans
- The EU Instruments for the Balkans Reconstruction, Development and Stabilization
- The Balkans Digitalization Process, Roaming and Information Systems
- The Balkans within the Transportation Community
- The EU Transportation and Energy Projects in the Balkans
- The Balkans Minorities
- The Balkans Youth Initiatives
- “The Balkans Erasmus+” for Regional Cooperation
- The Balkans Youth Cooperation
The Conference is organized by the Balkan Studies Center (BSC) of the International University of Sarajevo, and in cooperation with the Student Parliament at the International University of Sarajevo (SPIUS).
COORDINATORS OF THE “STUDENT CONFERENCE”
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Muhidin Mulalić
- Mr. Hamza Preljević
ORGANIZING COMMITTEE (students representatives)
- Amar Buljubašić
- Amar Karađuz
- Hena Begović
- Erna Hrstić
- Oğuzhan Çoklü
- Caner Albayrak
- Selma Ibrekić
To be announced.
THE SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEE
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Mirsad Karić
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Aliye Fatma Mataracı
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Mehmed Ganić
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Senad Bušatlić
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Goran Šimić
Assist. Prof. Dr. Aliaksandr Novikau
Assist. Prof. Dr. Azra Branković
Assist. Prof. Dr. Emil Knezović
Assist. Prof. Dr. Šejma Aydin
Assist. Prof. Dr. Ena Kazić
Assist. Prof. Dr. Tarik Namas
Assist. Porf. Dr. Benjamin Duraković
The program is designed for senior students in humanities, social sciences, and technical sciences as well as for those who are interested in developing their knowledge and expertise in the topics offered by the BSC Student Conference 2020.
Organizers of the Conference welcome online submissions written in the official language of Bosnia and Herzegovina and/or the English language that are closely related to the areas specified in the call for papers. Abstracts should not exceed 300 words and they must clearly indicate the problem, objectives, research methods, results and conclusions. Submitted abstracts must adhere to the set format. Abstracts that exceed the word limit or include graphics and tables will be rejected.
Authors are also advised to proofread their abstracts because abstracts will be reproduced from the online submission. Any error in spelling, grammar or data will appear online or in print. Students are invited to submit their abstracts to firstname.lastname@example.org by
6 April 2020 20 May 2020. Students should be aware that abstract submission does not guarantee inclusion in the program.
Paper submission guidelines
- Authors are requested to follow the set style and format.
- Papers must be in the official languages of Bosnia and Herzegovina or the English and should not exceed 10000 words.
- Papers must include, title, author name, affiliation or institution, abstract, key words and body of the paper.
- Papers must display original thought and ideas. They must make concrete references to existing scholarship in the related area.
- Citations and references should be made in accordance with the APA Style Manual.
- Papers must be double-spaced (with single-spacing used for block quotations). Margins should be 2.5 cm. or 1 inch from all sides.
- The first line of each paragraph should be indented. Block quotations should be indented 2.5 cm. or 1 inch from both the right and left margins.
- Paper must be submitted in Microsoft Word document file format.
- The text of the paper should be double-spaced with Times New Roman 12-point font; all illustrations, figures, and tables are placed within the text at the appropriate points, rather than at the end.
- Papers will be accepted only if they meet the requirements.
The Scientific Committee will assess the quality of papers and determine whether they will be suitable for publishing. Papers that have been previously presented or published will not be accepted. Only the students who submit their full papers within the specified deadline will be allowed to present at the Conference.
- The presentations can be presented in the official languages of Bosnia and Herzegovina or the English language.
- Each paper will be allotted 30 minutes, 20 minutes for presentation and 10 minutes for discussion. Presenters may prepare oral presentations or poster presentations.
- Organizers will provide all necessary equipments for your presentations, such as a video projector, laptop, microphones, markers, etc. Presenters may decide on their own whether to distribute handouts or copies of their paper to the audience.
- Due to time constrains, presenters will not be permitted to exceed the time allotted for their presentation and for the question and answer session.
- Presenters will be asked to bring their presentation on thumb drive and arrange with the moderator and the technician to make it ready before beginning of the presentation in order not to delay the Conference timeframe.
Students must attend the conference and present their paper.
Certificate of attendance from the organizers.
BEST PAPER AWARDS
The Scientific Committee will select three best papers, which will be assigned the following awards:
1st best paper 300,00 BAM
2nd best paper 200,00 BAM
3rd best paper 100,00 BAM
The Conference will take place in Sarajevo, the capital of Bosnia and Hercegovina.
No participation fee applied.
HOW TO APPLY?
Prospective applicants should send their abstracts and short biographical statement to email@example.com by
6 April 2020 20 May 2020. The results of the selection process will be communicated via E-mail, within 10 working days following receipt of the application.
Monday 15th January 2020 – Applications open
Monday 6th April Wednesday 20th May 2020 – Abstract submission Monday 4th May Friday 5th June 2020 – Full paper submission
10 working days following receipt of the application – Notification to applicants
Friday 29th May Friday 10th July 2020 – Conference Day
*Due to the unfolding coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, the organizers will consider conference presentation to be put online.
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Muhidin Mulalić
Coordinator of the Conference
Phone: +387 33 957 236
Mr. Hamza Preljević
Coordinator of the Conference
Phone: +387 33 957 320
You can also follow us on Facebook for regular updates and announcements.
Download BSC Summer school poster.