Western Balkans Youth Conference 2022:
Youth Leadership in the Digital and Green World
27 May 2022
(In-Person and Online Conference)
CALL FOR PAPERS
DESCRIPTION OF THE WBYC'22
This conference aims to create a platform for the youth, students, recent graduates and young professionals to explore key topics and issues that affect their future in the Western Balkans. The conference provokes the youth to raise their voices and to take up the leadership in creating better future. The youth as the agents of change have responsibility to take up the leadership in building a better tomorrow. Their awareness, proactive role, engagement and leadership in the digital and green world will be decisive in shaping the future and a shared vision. The humanity needs their voice, leadership and active involvement in tackling issues and challenges that affect our lives and the planet. In the last two conferences Western Balkans Youth Conference explored the regional cooperation, democratization, economic cooperation and the EU goals and values. The third conference entitled Youth Leadership in the Digital and Green World aims to explore environment, climate change, digitalization, youth capacity-building, youth education and training, youth entrepreneurship, youth political participation, youth community engagement, youth and demographic challenges, youth skills and employability, youth networks and platforms, youth peace and reconciliation engagement.
The conference seeks youth participation from all over the world to exchange their ideas and experience in an intellectually stimulating academic environment, at the International University of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. The fundamental objective of the conference is to provide students with an educational experience that prepares them for their future.
THE AIMS OF WBYC'22
WBYC21 welcomes papers from all disciplines within humanities, arts and social sciences, and technical and natural sciences. Possible themes should match the following conference aims:
- Tackle the environmental and climatic challenges and prospects in the Western Balkans;
- Encourage presenters to examine youth proactive role the promotion of democratization, market economy and youth political participation and leadership;
- Assess youth capacity-building, education and training, and youth skills and employability;
- Investigate mobilization and use of youth regional networks, platforms and interconnected youth activism in the Western Balkans;
- Examine scientific, technological, socio-cultural and artistic aspects of youth in the digital and green world;
- Address youth engagement in cultural and historical disputes and promotion of peace and reconciliation in the Western Balkans;
- Explore demographic challenges and the youth perceptions of the Western Balkans “white plague” and “mass exodus” to Europe;
- Promote youth coordinated action and empowerment in creating a more sustainable world;
- Examine regional and national youth development policies, including prioritizing the youth by the policy-makers;
- Promote youth cooperation, the exchange of views, experiences and findings among students from the Western Balkans and the EU.
BROAD WBYC'22 TOPICS
- The Youth Perceptions of the Western Balkans Euro-Atlantic integrations process
- Youth engagement in the Balkans Post-Conflict Reconciliation and Peace-Building
- Youth leadership and entrepreneurship in the Western Balkans
- Youth education, skills and knowledge in the digital world
- The environmental and climatic challenges and prospects in the Western Balkans
- Youth proactive role the promotion of democratization, market economy and youth political participation and leadership
- Youth capacity-building, education and training, and youth skills and employability
- Youth regional networks, platforms and interconnected youth activism in the Western Balkans
- Scientific, technological, socio-cultural and artistic aspects of youth in the digital and green world
- The youth perceptions of the Western Balkans “white plague” and “mass exodus”
- Critical assessment of the regional and national youth development policies
- Youth and the sustainable development goals (SDGs)
- Youth education and training for employment and entrepreneurship in the digital world
- Effective policies in tackling youth employment in the Western Balkans countries
- Youth well-being, mental health and central position in the digital and green world
- Youth political exclusion, marginalization and rejection in the Western Balkans countries
- Strategies of placing the youth on the Agenda in the Western Balkans
- Youth activism in the media and the public sphere
- Youth contributions to human, environmental and planetary health
- Youth proactive approach and engagement in tackling COVID-19 pandemic
ORGANIZERS OF WBYC'22
The Conference is organized by the Balkan Studies Center (BSC) of the International University of Sarajevo, and in cooperation with the Student Parliament at the International University of Sarajevo (SPIUS).
ORGANIZING COMMITTEE OF WBYC'22
- Prof. Dr. Muhidin Mulalić
- Sen. Assist. Hamza Preljević, MA
- Assist. Prof. Emir Hambo, MA
- Assist. Prof. Muhammed Yasir Göz, MA
- Selma Ibrekić, student representative
- Amina Kahriman, student representative
- Neira Zulić, student representative
- Sara Mulalić, student representative
WBYC'22 KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Zinka Bejtić, American University of Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
- Title: Using Creativity to Develop Growth Mindset and Discover Life’s Calling
- Assist. Prof. Dr. Andreja Srsen, University of Zagreb, Croatia
- Title: Involving the Youth in Framing the Green Agenda for the Western Balkans
WBYC'22 SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEE
- Prof. Dr. Emel Topçu
- Prof. Dr. Senad Bušatlić
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Mehmed Ganić
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Aliye Fatma Mataracı
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ervin Kovačević
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Mirsad Karić
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Benjamin Duraković
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Emil Knezović
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ramo Palalić
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Joseph Jon Kaminski
- Assist. Prof. Dr. Nadira Puškar-Mustafić
- Assist. Prof. Dr. Aliaksandr Novikau
- Assist. Prof. Dr. Edib Smolo
- Assist. Prof. Dr. Ena Kazić
- Assist. Prof. Dr. Šejma Aydin
- Assist. Prof. Dr. Jahja Muhasilović
- Assist. Prof. Dr. Selvira Draganović
- Assist. Prof. Dr. Tarik Namas
CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS EDITORS
- Prof. Dr. Muhidin Mulalić
- Sen Assist. Hamza Prelejvić, MA
Publisher: International University of Sarajevo
The program is designed for senior undergraduate and graduate students in humanities, social sciences, and technical sciences as well fresh graduates who are already working in the public and private sectors and who are interested in developing their knowledge and expertise in the topics offered by the WBYC'22.
The Conference will take place in Sarajevo, the capital city of Bosnia and Hercegovina, at the International University of Sarajevo. Conference participants may decide to present their conference papers in-person or online.
Organizers of the Conference welcome online submissions written in the official language of Bosnia and Herzegovina and/or the English language that are closely related to the areas specified in the call for papers. Abstracts should not exceed 250 words and they must clearly indicate the problem, objectives, research methods, results and conclusions. Submitted abstracts must adhere to the set format. Abstracts that exceed the word limit or include graphics and tables will be rejected.
Authors are also advised to proofread their abstracts because abstracts will be reproduced from the online submission. Any error in spelling, grammar or data will appear online or in print. Students are invited to submit their abstracts to email@example.com by 19 March 2022. All participants should be aware that abstract submission does not guarantee inclusion in the program.
Paper submission guidelines
- Authors are requested to follow the set style and format.
- Papers must be in the official languages of Bosnia and Herzegovina or the English and should not exceed 6000 words.
- Papers must include, title, author name, affiliation or institution, abstract, key words and body of the paper.
- Papers must display original thought and ideas. They must make concrete references to existing scholarship in the related area.
- Citations and references should be made in accordance with the APA Style Manual.
- Papers must be double-spaced (with single-spacing used for block quotations). Margins should be 2.5 cm. or 1 inch from all sides.
- The first line of each paragraph should be indented. Block quotations should be indented 2.5 cm. or 1 inch from both the right and left margins.
- Paper must be submitted in Microsoft Word document file format.
- The text of the paper should be double-spaced with Times New Roman 12-point font; all illustrations, figures, and tables are placed within the text at the appropriate points, rather than at the end.
Papers will be accepted only if they meet the requirements.
The Scientific Committee will assess the quality of papers and determine whether they will be suitable for publishing. Papers that have been previously presented or published will not be accepted. All submitted paper will undergo plagiarism checking by Turnitin software. Only the students who submit their full papers within the specified deadline will be allowed to present at the Conference
- The presentations can be presented in the official languages of Bosnia and Herzegovina or the English language.
- Each paper will be allotted 30 minutes, 20 minutes for presentation and 10 minutes for discussion. Presenters may prepare oral presentations or poster presentations.
- Organizers will provide all necessary equipments for your presentations, such as a video projector, laptop, microphones, markers, etc. Presenters may decide on their own whether to distribute handouts or copies of their paper to the audience.
- Due to time constrains, presenters will not be permitted to exceed the time allotted for their presentation and for the question and answer session.
- Presenters will be asked to bring their presentation on thumb drive and arrange with the moderator and the technician to make it ready before beginning of the presentation in order not to delay the Conference timeframe.
ATTENDANCE AND PRESENTATIONS
Conference participants may decide to present their conference papers in-person or online.
No participation fee applied. All expenditures are covered by organizers, including the expenditures of publication.
Since IUS has signed special agreements with the Hotel Hollywood and Hotel Terme, both of which offer special prices for the conference guests, participants are encouraged to make reservations in these hotels. Moreover, these hotels are also very close to the university campus where the conference will take place.
All papers presented and accepted at the conference will be published in the conference proceedings.
HOW TO APPLY?
Prospective applicants should send their abstracts and papers at firstname.lastname@example.org. The results of the selection process will be communicated via E-mail, within 10 working days following receipt of the application.
- 10th January, 2022 – Applications open
- 19th March, 2022 – Abstract submission
- 10 working days following receipt of the application/abstract – Notification to applicants
- 23rd April, 2022 – Full paper submission
- 27th May, 2022 – Conference Day
- Mr. Hamza Preljević
- Coordinator of the WBYC'22
- Phone: +387 33 957 320
- E-mail: email@example.com
Conference proceedings of the Western Balkans Youth Conference 2020: Regional Cooperation and Integration & Western Balkans Youth Conference 2021: We Share European Values and Goals are available HERE.